Organization and Governance
Potentia Academy was incorporated in the State of Florida in 2009 as a private K-12 school and complies with all state laws and regulations governing the operation of private educational institutions. Potentia currently serves middle and high school grade levels.
The Internal Revenue Service has awarded Potentia Academy a not-for-profit determination as a 501-(c)-3 corporation. All donations to the school are tax deductible.
Ms. Janice Meeks serves as Principal of Potentia Academy and is in charge of the day-to-day operations of the school.
Potentia Academy is governed by a Board of Directors, consisting of educators and businessmen, who volunteer their time and energy because they believe deeply in the mission of the school. Our Board of Directors currently consists of:
- J. Duane Meeks, Ph.D., is Potentia’s President and Chairman of the Board. Dr. Meeks serves as Dean of the School of Communication and Media at Palm Beach Atlantic University.
- Horace W. Sawyer, Ed.D., serves as our Vice-President. Dr. Sawyer is Professor Emeritus and the retired Chairman of the Department of Rehabilitation Counseling at the University of Florida.
- Martin A. “Marty” Dytrych, CPA, is the school’s Secretary-Treasurer. Mr. Dytrych is a Shareholder and Co-owner at Lamn, Krielow & Dytrych Certified Public Accountants & Consultants.
- Patrick J. “Pat” Rooney, Jr., Esq., who is President of the Palm Beach Kennel Club and the Florida State Representative for District 85.
- Edward F. “Ed” Tancer, Esq., a Shareholder at the Gunster law firm in West Palm Beach.
- Amy J. Young, Managing Partner at Ballard Partners, a political consulting and lobbying firm.
- Rene Webster, Senior Vice-President and Market Executive, Valley National Bank.
- Vivian Sawyer, retired real estate broker, Real Estate Professionals of Orlando.
- Allan Young, Operating Partner of Wayne Akers Ford and Chairman of the Board of the South Florida Ford Dealers.